The heat in Arizona can melt your face off, no matter how “dry” that heat is.
If Arizona is where you’re moving to or just moved to, knowing how to install a ceiling fan could be a great thing know, right after knowing how to fix your own air conditioner. While we have little-to-know tips on Freon and a/c maintenance, we definitely know a thing or two about ceiling fans.
Should your new place not come with a ceiling fan, or if you want to replace the one that you inherited with your new home, here are some tips for choosing a ceiling fan and installation:
WHAT TYPE OF CEILING FAN DO I NEED?
Measure the room where you’d like a ceiling fan. Ceiling fans come in different sizes with different features. A home improvement store employee can help you determine what size fan you need. You will also need to decide if you want it to have lights or not, or what other bells and whistled you’d like. Do you want to control it from your phone? Should it have a remote? These are things only you can decide..
WHY SHOULD I GET A CEILING FAN?
When the heat makes your home so warm that you don’t want to move, a ceiling fan can help circulate the air and keep you cool. You’re already paying good money to use your air conditioner, make sure that cool air gets around!
TIPS ON INSTALLING THE FAN*
- Turn off the power to the room and take down the old fan or light. Undo the wires for the old fan.
- Ceiling fans need to be anchored to an electric ceiling box that can handle the weight of your fan. If you don’t have an electric ceiling box, you need to have an electrician install one before you can proceed.
- Place electric tape over the power switch so no one turns it on while you’re working.
- Attach the fan-mounting bracket to the electric ceiling box.
- Pull the wires through the brace’s center.
- Attach fan bracket to the box.
- Continue installing the rest of the fan to the brace.
- Connect the wires from the fan by matching them up to the same color—black, white and ground wires. Once the wires are connected, push them through the junction box.
- Attach the fan blades and any lights that come with it.
- Turn on the power once again.
Note: there are quick-install fans available, that only have three steps for installation. If you are uneasy about installing your own fan, check out this option!
*Always follow the installation instructions that come with the fan you purchased! These are tips are merely broad guidelines.
Many major retailers and fan manufacturers have instructions online and on their YouTube channel. Check them out!
You can also call an electrician to hook up your ceiling fan. There’s no shame in that, and you can tell everyone you installed it yourself. We won’t tell.
READY FOR THE MOVE
If you are thinking of moving to Arizona and are now searching AZ moving companies, you’ve taken the first step in your moving day. Arizona long distance moving companies are ready to help you with your move to Prescott, AZ or anywhere else in Arizona.
Folkestad Moving Services are the best-rated movers in Arizona. They are professional, knowledgeable movers ready to help you relocate! Give Folkestad a call today at 928-771-2704, or click here to get started with your free moving quote! Because we are an agent of National Van Lines, we can move you anywhere outside of Florida! Are you looking for more tips to improve your house? Read this article from our partners North Bay to learn what to do if you move into a house with mosquitoes!