It probably won’t surprise you to hear that summer is the most popular time to move. Moving companies call this popular moving season peak season, because it’s when they are the busiest. If you are one of the many people moving this summer, here are some things to know as you get ready to relocate.
Peak Moving Season, Really
Nearly 70 percent of moves in the United States between Memorial Day and Labor Day, which means that moving companies are super busy during this time! Early May through late September is considered peak moving season, which is when movers are in the highest demand. Make sure you book in advance if you need to move during this time of year. The earlier you book your peak season move, the more likely you are to get the dates you need. Check out this cross-country moving checklist to make sure your timeline and moving tasks all match up!
Why move in the summer?
Summer is busy with moves for a reason! Consider these factors:
- Many places that experience a cold winter will only have leases that begin and end in the summertime months.
- Speaking of winter, the days are shorter, colder, and more unpredictable with weather. Now add a moving truck. Many people can picture this situation in their minds and veto the idea immediately.
- Schools invented the idea of summer vacation. Those with school-aged children want to make the transition to a new school as easy as possible for their kids. Starting a new school in the middle of the school year is jolting, for sure. But starting a new school on the first day? That’s a lot easier to manage.
- Most homes are put up for sale in the spring, to take advantage of the upcoming moving boom. Homes look nicer in the spring and summer, with green lawns and flowers blooming.
Moving Tips for Peak Season:
- Hire your movers well in advance – The longer you wait, the less options are open to you for your move.
- Think about a mid-month or mid-week move – Demand drops during the week and in the middle of the month, so these times may have more availability for your move. You may even get a break on price if you move in these off-times!
- Avoid holiday weekends – Summer has many holiday weekends like Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. Save yourself the bottle of headache medicine and avoid moving during these times. Roads are busier, people are crankier, and gas is often more expensive during these times.
- Air conditioning before boxes – Once you get to your new home, turn on the AC before you bring in anything. Seriously. Do yourself and your movers this favor. It gets hot in the summer, and people get hotter once they are moving around—like carrying boxes and furniture into a house.
- Don’t fry your electronics – One last tip for peak moving season checklist: Anything with a motherboard, remote, or charger should ride with you and not in a moving truck. Electronics are heat-sensitive, so keep your expensive items in that cool car with you!
Good Advice, No Matter What the Season
Whether it’s peak season, off-season or any season in-between, make sure you have quality, professional movers handling your relocation. Folkestad Moving Services can help you navigate an upcoming move, from estimate to unloading at your destination. Click here for a moving estimate or give them a call at (928)771-2704.